Service Hour Program
Service Hours to the School
Every family at OLL is required to volunteer thirty hours (twenty hours for single parent families) each school year through the "service hour program" under the supervision of the Home and School Association. Service hours represent an important part of the total stewardship program of the parish, of which the school is an integral part. A minimum of two hours per child per family must be completed during the annual spring parish festival.
In general, any volunteer activity that involves working with students and/or teachers or that provides financial support for the school earns credit under this program. The list of acceptable activities is almost endless.
The following activities do not count for "service hours" credit.
- 1) Liturgy support activities such as altar server, usher, lector, Eucharistic minister, choir member, etc.
- 2) Attendance (as opposed to planning and working) at parish and school events.
Service Hour Program Guidelines
- Only members of a student's immediate family (parents / guardians / grandparents or older non-student siblings) may earn service hour credit.
- Service hours must be completed by the published cut off date.
- Service hours completed after the cut off date, and only these, will be credited to the following year.
- Service hours are to be recorded on the "service hour coupons" distributed at the beginning of each academic year.
- Completed coupons, signed by the authorized person, should be given to the homeroom representative of the child's homeroom.
- Toward the end of the school year, families with uncompleted hours will be automatically charged at the rate of $10.00 per hour.